is back which means it’s time to get your notepads and pens out as we
Judges , , , and all return for with costumes more elaborate than ever and the voices even harder to distinguish.
Dippy Egg in particular has got everyone scratching their head, with names such as and even thrown into the mix by the panel.
Following their first performance of Daydream Believer By The Monkees, viewers got to work deciphering the hints, which included references to being an animal lover, having musical experience, and even having worked on a farm.
Let’s take a deep dive into all the clues and the judges’ predictions so far for who could be behind Dippy Egg’s mask…
What clues are there for Dippy Egg’s identity?
- Dippy Egg informed viewers that they’re ‘hard on the outside, but soft in the middle’
- On a lunch menu shown in the clue package, the dessert ‘cake’ was circled, so could this be someone from The Great British Bake Off?
- The celebrity was shown on a farm, leading to suspicions that perhaps they have a farm or work on a farm in real life.
- They said that they work with animals, as figurines of creatures, including a giraffe, rhinoceros, lion, elephant, and hippopotamus perched on top of a pile of vegetables.
- While Dippy Egg was filmed singing into a microphone, the cable was unplugged – perhaps they’re an acoustic musician?
- They mentioned West Side Story, so they could have a background in musical theatre.
- They gave a riddle to the panel, which was: ‘I have just performed therefore I am frazzled, but it’s not the first time that I have done dazzled.’
Who could Dippy Egg on The Masked Singer be?
Judge Mo Gilligan reckons Matt Lucas could be behind the mask.
With a song about food playing, their food-related costume, and references to GBBO judge Dame Prue Leith, it’s not entirely impossible…
The judges were also pretty certain that the celeb behind Dippy Egg isn’t a trained vocal talent.
Matt, 49, will be best known to viewers as an actor comedian, writer, and presenter.
He rose to prominence alongside David Walliams on the BBC sketch comedy series Little Britain and Come Fly with Me.
With plenty of references to food, it’s understandable why Jonathan Ross reckons Dippy Egg could be Gregg Wallace.
Jonathan Ross also jokingly pointed out that the MasterChef star, 59, ‘looks a bit like an egg’ due to his bald head.
Then again, Jonathan also mocked how Dippy Egg could be a ‘politician who said a scotch egg was a substantial meal’, referring to Matt Hancock.
TV personality Gregg is best known for co-presenting MasterChef, Celebrity MasterChef, and MasterChef: The Professionals, alongside celebrity chef John Torode.
Last year’s winner Charlie Simpson – who performed as Rhino – reckoned Jimmy Doherty could be Dippy Egg, as he joined the panel for a guest stint filling in for Rita Ora during this year’s launch.
His reasons? Well, the chef has a music festival that he’s played at before, and he’s mates with Jamie Oliver.
It seems all the clues are pointing in the direction of cookery…
Jimmy, 48, is a TV presenter and farmer, hence the connection given the clues about farming experience.
He is known for the show Jimmy’s Farm, detailing the operation of the Essex Pig Company that he and his wife Michaela Furney own in Suffolk.
The Masked Singer continues on Saturday at 7pm on ITV1 and ITVX.