Arsenal left to rue missed chances as Liverpool send Gunners crashing out of the FA Cup with late smash and grab
Posted by  badge Boss on Jan 07
Liverpool scored two in the final stages. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

Liverpool are through to the fourth round of the after knocking out with a 2-0 win at the Emirates.

’s side survived a first half onslaught, with Arsenal missing several chances to not only take the lead but to put the game to bed.

Kai Havertz and Martin Odegaard were particularly guilty of squandering good chances and the Gunners were made to pay for their poor finishing in the second half.

Liverpool didn’t allow the hosts the same dominance after the interval and ’s own goal with ten minutes left put the visitors ahead.

With Arsenal pushing for an equaliser, Luis Diaz punished the space in behind and sealed the smash and grab in injury time.

Diaz scored in injury time (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

The Gunners dominated during the first half, taking advantage of Liverpool’s makeshift back line by adopting a high press and winning possession high in the final third.

Reiss Nelson could have opened the scoring within the first minute but he couldn’t find the back of the net after rounding Alisson following a fantastic pass from .

The Gunners’ best chance of the half came when nicked the ball from Joe Gomez and, following a blocked effort from Nelson, could only find the crossbar from 12 yards out.

, starting up front in place of Eddie Nketiah and the absent Gabriel Jesus, was industrious but the German summed up Arsenal’s problems in front of goal with his charitable finishing.

Kiwior headed past Ramsdale (Photo by John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

Liverpool, who were without Virgil van Dijk due to illness, were well below their best in the first half but they came close to making Arsenal pay for failing to convert their chances when Trent Alexander-Arnold crashed an effort of his own against the upright from outside the area.

The second half saw a more even game, with the visitors providing a sterner test for a previously dominant Arsenal side.

Gabriel Martinelli was introduced on the hour-mark and he provided an instant challenge for Alexander-Arnold, resurrecting Arsenal’s threat.

But with 15 minutes left, there was an urgency from both sides to find a winner as neither team wanted a replay to be scheduled for midweek.

Aaron Ramsdale was forced into his first notable save when he excellently denied Luis Diaz at his near post.

Liverpool then hit the crossbar for the second time when Diogo Jota saw his header rebound off the woodwork, with Darwin Nunez hitting the resulting effort over.

But the Reds didn’t have to wait for long to find their winner, as just moments later Alexander-Arnold’s free-kick found its way past Ramsdale thanks to Jakub Kiwior’s own goal.

The goal was down to Alexander-Arnold’s fantastic whipped cross and the goal forced Arsenal to pile forward in search of an equaliser.

That left space in behind for Liverpool to counter-attack and Diaz was on hand to power home Liverpool’s second in injury time to put the Reds in the hat for the fourth round.


 and .