Monaco midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni has rejected Liverpool’s offer and will join instead, according to reports.
The 22-year-old is understood to have last week having attracted interest from several clubs across Europe.
However, report that Tchouameni has now decided to join Madrid ahead of ’s side in the upcoming window.
The report claims that Madrid have indicated that they will meet Monaco’s €80 million (£68.6m) asking price.
Meanwhile, Telefoot are also reporting that Tchouameni has already told his Monaco teammates about his decision to join the Spanish champions this summer.
Tchouameni has agreed a five-year contract with Madrid and is set to be their first marquee signing of the summer after the club missed out on signing Kylian Mbappe from Paris Saint-Germain last week.
Mbappe had also agreed a contract with Madrid before making a late U-turn and signing a deal with Paris Saint-Germain which will keep him tied to the French club until 2025.
Tchouameni, meanwhile, has impressed once again for Monaco this season and .
In an interview with on Monday, Monaco’s sporting director Paul Mitchell admitted that the club will be ‘losing an incredibly gifted player’,
‘As always when you sell a player, there needs to be fair compensation. The market is different every year,’ said Mitchell.
‘Everyone was able to see what a top player Aurelien is, but everyone also knows that we are an ambitious club with an ambitious shareholder.
‘So no, I have no preference when it comes to selling him. We will have to be very aggressive in terms of the fee we demand to lose such an incredibly gifted player.’
, ., and .